Monday, 23 October 2017

Knitting Knotes - Celtic Beanie

Using the pattern Oxenhope I made this bigger by adding another pattern repeat, I also wanted a fold over 2x2 cuff - but I didn't have enough yarn. So the rib was 14 rows 2x2.

I used 4.5mm for the rib and 5mm for the body.

The yarn was Tivoli Celtic Aran - bought in Dublin.

Knitting Knotes - Silky Cables

Yarn: Stylecraft Malabar Aran 800g
Pattern: adapted from chunky to aran from Cosy Cables by Jane Ellison


Cast on 106 on 4.5mm
Rib 2x2
Increase to 128 on last rib row

Change to 5mm

Pattern set up:

13sts reverse stocking stitch /10sts pattern/13rss/10patt/13rss/10patt/13rss/10patt/13rss/10patt/13rss

Pattern to 44cm

Shape armholes
Cast off 6sts at beg of next 2 rows - 116sts
Decrease 1 st each end of next 6 rows - 104sts
Work 7 rows decrease 1 st each end of alternate rows - 96sts***

Work until armhole measures 14cm (57cm in total)

Divide for neck
39 18 39

Work one side at a time.
Work 1 row
Work 6 rows decrease 1st at neck edge.
Work 4 rows decrease 1st at neck edge on alt rows.
Work 9 rows decrease 1st at neck edge on 4th rows.

Knit until armhole = 26cm


Knit to ***

Work until armhole measures  24cm.

Divide for neck
33 30 33

Work one side at a time.
Work 1 row
Decrease 1st at neck edge on next 4 rows (29 rows)


Back neck - 6/30/6
Front neck - 30/18/30

K2 P2 rib
Work 2 rounds
Dec 1st either side of shoulder
Work 27 rows


2x2 rib
40sts 11rows
Increase to 58sts
Increase 1st each end of 7th rows to 74sts.
Knit 1 row 
Decrease 6sts at beg of next 2 rows.
Decrease 1st each end of next 4 rows.
Work 28 rows decrease 1st each of alternate rows - 26sts.
Work 6 rows dec 1st each end of every row.
Cast off 4 sts at beg of next 2 rows.
Cast off

This jumper came up massive but I love it.
If I did it again I'd start the row with the cables and miss off the two reverse stocking stitch panels.

Saturday, 23 September 2017

Crochet Notes - Milky Buttons Bag

Cream Cotton DK
Black DK
3.75mm hook
Black retail bag.

I used the Pinwheel Circle for the front and back - making 18 of them (adding a round of trebles) and Circle into Square for the sides making 12 (also adding a round of trebles) - these were from Crocheted Granny Squares.

I sewed these altogether (doing a round of trebles around the nine pinwheel circles) and made the bag shape.

Then crocheted around the top with two rounds of trebles and a round of double crochets in the contrast colour.

Then I sewed the bag to the crochet, having turned the bag inside out.

Finally an autumnal flower picture to finish.

Sunday, 3 September 2017

Crochet Notes - Tiny Tokyo Tote Bag

Yarn: oddments of aran yarn
Hook: 4mm
Bag: canvas tote bag - the type given away free at conferences and open days.

Like most knitters and crocheters I like to take a little project with me on holiday, and this year I decided to take a little tote bag project. I went to Japan and our first hotel was rather on the tiny side in Tokyo, as that was where I started the bag I decided to call it the Tiny Tokyo Tote Bag.

I took this rather interesting square pattern with me from Crochet Now and just made it up I as I went along.

I made 4 of the large squares (2 for each side) and then made another 16 squares (8 for each side) which were just rounds 1 and 2 followed by a round of half trebles.

Once each side was sewed together I did a round of half trebles, then 2 rounds of trebles.
I crocheted the 2 sides together and sewed the little tote bag inside - then all I had to do was block.
The bag does look a little Japanese, so may be I was influenced by my surroundings.

I also recently finished the most comfortable slouchy socks.

I used The March Hare fingering superwash merino and pattern called Andie.

Tuesday, 29 August 2017

Crochet Notes - Mandala and Bunting

My friend wanted me to help her decorate her new textiles classroom, she asked for crocheted bunting in blues, pinks and purples and a rainbow mandala - I think I've fulfilled the brief. I;m leaving her to string the granny triangles. 

I used double knit oddments.
The granny triangles were from Yuletide and the mandala was Crochet Mandala.

Monday, 28 August 2017

Crochet Notes - Summer Scarves

I have made another of my favourite crocheted summer scarves - All at Sea, this time in fine crochet cotton. Petra 8 - with a 3mm hook, I called it Rosie Wrap.

I also added beading along the side edges and 3 points - as is my way with these scarves. I also added beading to a previous scarf - Ice Cream.

Just to finish here are some garden pics 2017.

A new dahlia for the garden this year.

I haven't seen this dahlia for a few years, I'm glad it's back. 

Monday, 31 July 2017

Crochet Notes - Vera

I was asked by my friend to use up the yarn that her nan (Vera) had been knitting before she passed, to make something for her mum. Quite a responsibility.

So I chose to make her a blanket based on an African Flower design - with 6 petals - I used Jemima Schlee's  Scattered Flower Crochet Rug for inspiration.

I used 6 balls of Hayfield Bonus DK (100g) and I had 2.5 balls of Vera's yarn, Streamers self-painting DK (100g).

I made 67 hexagons and used join as you go - trying to space out the colours. Then I did 2 rounds of trebles, using 1 treble, 2 chain, 1 treble n the points and 2 trebles, 2 chain, 2 trebles on the 4 corners.
I did another 2 rounds in the self-painted yarn, then a round in white.

For the last round I did 7 trebles, missing with 3 or 4 spaces as I went to ensure that the points had the 7 trebles on them.

I think this is a nice little sofa blanket to snuggle up with in the winter evenings - I hope she likes it. 

Knitting Knotes - Celtic Beanie

Using the pattern  Oxenhope  I made this bigger by adding another pattern repeat, I also wanted a fold over 2x2 cuff - but I didn't ...