So - where did all this begin?
Back in August 2010 I used DPNs for the first time, I chose to use 3mm needles and DK yarn. The yarn was cheap acrylic - well I was worried it would be a waste of money! The pattern I decided upon was Beginner Socks by Kim Goddard (available free on RaveIry here) I managed to join the round and felt quite proud of myself, but it was slow going until I found my DPN style. I decided on a stripe pattern to use up some oddments of yarn and very soon the first sock was complete. As I was on holiday at the time I didn't get second sock syndrome and I immediately got on with the second sock, being DK it didn't take long. These are not the best pair of socks but I'm proud of them and they did start off my sock knitting addiction.
Later the same month I decided to be brave and use 4 ply with 2.5mm needles, not only that I chose to have a small lace pattern to follow - Sunday Swing Socks by Kristel Nyberg, (free on Ravelry here). I used Opal Rainforest - Tiger yarn.
The tiny lace pattern distorts the stripes and even today I'm still pleased with the effect.
Next came Zara by Jane Burns (pattern from Let's Knit Magazine). I used yarn frogged from a jumper - Sirdar Juniper and 5mm needles. This time a cable pattern was involved. These were quick to knit and are worn on cold snowy days - perfect!
In an attempt to use up oddments in my stash I returned to Kim Goddard's Beginner Socks pattern and DK, but this time I added my own fairisle design.
The result was a delightful cosy pair of hot pink socks.
Being more confident now with DPNs I splashed out on some Noro Silk Garden Sock yarn, I had long since wanted to knit with Noro, I just love the randomness of colours next to each other. I picked jewel coloured yarn and Erika Knight's Jazz Socks pattern, which I found in Knitting magazine. However for the toe I reverted to Sunday Swing Socks as I didn't like the toe finish in Jazz Socks - I found it uncomfortable. I also learnt a Noro lesson here too, because when I frogged the toe the yarn went out of sequence an I ended up with different toes - not a massive problem but lesson learnt!
My son wanted some socks to match a scarf that I made him (he's a student) so using the same Stylecraft Life Chunky and 5mm DPNs, I began Rugged Rambler by Lou Sugg (this pattern was from a magazine). The result ...
Apparently it is like walking on marshmallows.
Another pair of Noro socks followed - with the toe lesson learnt.
Then I received some Regia Jazz Sock yarn in a swap and so there was only one pattern I could choose ...
Jazz Socks by Erika Knight (however I still reverted to the Sunday Swing Socks toe).
I wanted to to try some ribbed socks next, so using Basic Ribbed Socks by Kate Atherley (available free on Ravelry here) and Opal Surprise I made my Autumn Socks. Closely followed by my Plum Pie Socks using Lang Jawoll Magic, which I received in a Ravelry swap.
After frogging this Malabrigo Yarn Sock several times from various scarves I decided to do Paraphernalia by Tania Attila (available free on Ravelry here). I love these socks but I did manage to mess up the positioning of the second sock cable and it is in more or less the same place as the first sock - so I don't have a left and right sock - again lesson learnt.
Back to Lang Jawoll Magic and Basic Ribbed socks for this project - I think these are my favourite in terms of colour.
Then on to the Engima Socks from Let's Knit Magazine.
This is a very simple but effective concept, you basically pick a colour to purl throughout (I picked pink) and it gives you a nice purly effect. This yarn - Araucania Ranco Multy - was perfect for this pattern. Again this was yarn received in a swap and I'm so glad I received it, I probably wouldn't have thought to buy it myself but it is lovely and soft and knits up really quick too.
Well that is all of my completed socks so far but I do have three sock WIPs so watch this space...................