Tuesday, 5 June 2012

Sock WIP Bag

The completed bag with sock project in situ:)


As I mentioned in WIP Report 12, I was given a ball of Katia Ondas for Christmas, but rather than Knit a scarf I was inspired by Susanba's Frilly Bags and I decided to knit a bag for myself. I thought it would be good to have a little bag with a sock project in it, this can then be grabbed for long car journey's.


Tutorial for the Sock WIP Bag. 

At the end I shall write the improvements I would make if I did it again.

 Equipment:
1ball of Katia Ondas
6mm needles
An old shirt
Needles and Pins
Magnetic clasp

Cast on 6sts.

  • Knit 6 rows.
  • Increase 10sts at the beginning of the next 2 rows. 
  • Knit 14 rows.
  • Cast off 10sts at the beginning of the next 2 rows.
  • Knit 6 rows.
  • Cast off.




Find an old shirt to use for the lining, cut around the edges giving space for a folded hem.

Pin in place and cut out a pocket for handy ready made storage. 
Sew Lining in place - I hand sewed. 




Once the lining is in place, attach the pocket.



Now sew up the four sides and add a magnetic clasp to finish.


My new 2.5mm Knit Pros fit in just perfectly.
Soliloquy Sox has a new home!

Ready to go when ever :)

 Changes I would make next time!

1) Get two balls of yarn for a bigger bag. This is just about big enough for a sock WIP.
2) Use a sewing machine for the lining. (I haven't used mine for about 15 years and I'm a bit scared of it now).
3) Originally I was going to add handles but I decided a clutch bag would be better as handles would get in the way.

Other things to make with Frilly Yarn!

I love Vicky Featherstonehaugh's Cushion Cover pattern - this one was for a friend's daughter.





This one was for me.













I also used the same pattern with Sirdar Fizzy for same friend's daughter.



There is definitely more to these yarns than scarves!

6 comments:

  1. What an ingenious idea!

    My favourite is the purple cushion love the colour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous bag, some great ideas for different yarns.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the tutorial! The bag looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boa tarde, tudo bem?
    Entrei para conhecer seu cantinho. Gostei muito de tudo que vi. Parabéns o blog está lindo. Já estou seguindo. Depois passa lá no meu cantinho também, será um prazer, ótima semana pra vc, bjs
    Claudiana
    http://encantosempontocruz-barbie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for your comment - I can't read it at present but I will find a way to translate it soon. Thanks again x

      Delete
  5. Ooooh! I love your frilly yarn makes! :) x

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate it if you can take time to comment - I love to read other people's thoughts and ideas.
Take care x

Crochet Notes - Venetian Glass Afghan

Interior design problem On our recent trip to Venice we bought a stunning vase that we loved but it didn't really go in any of our ro...