Monday, 10 September 2012

Book Review - The Sugar Girls by Duncan Barrett and Nuala Calvi


I love reading social history books and this one is a real gem, especially for me as someone whose ancestry is firmly entrenched in the East End of London.

This book follows the lives of four women during the post-war era in London, all four women worked at Tate and Lyle's sugar factory - hence the title 'Sugar Girls.' If you watched and enjoyed BBC's 'Call the Midwife' recently then this book is for you.

Read, enjoy and lose yourself in the tales from Gladys, Joan, Lilian and Ethel as they try to make ends meet and find happiness in 1950s London. When you have finished reading - google The Sugar Girls and find interviews, pictures and more tales of life at the Tate and Lyle factory. 

3 comments:

  1. Will definitely look out for this, thanks for sharing!

    Have a lovely week,

    Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving all things 50's at the moment, this looks good book not that I have time for reading these days!

    Have you been watching the Bletchely Girls, just loving the knitwear :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    I loved the Note Book (earlier post) and this book looks and sounds fab too!I need to loose my self in a good read....
    Thanks also for sweet words over on mine Daffy...
    Love Maria x



    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate it if you can take time to comment - I love to read other people's thoughts and ideas.
Take care x

Crochet Notes - Vera

I was asked by my friend to use up the yarn that her nan (Vera) had been knitting before she passed, to make something for her mum. Quite a...