Sunday, 4 November 2012

Tool Box

Good job I'm not a Blue Peter presenter....


In all my years (and there's quite a few) I have never had the occasion to use double sided sticky tape but yesterday all that changed. I decided to revamp an old vanity case that belonged to my mum, I think she bought it back in the 60s.



During the 70s, when I was a child, it was full of her make up and I used to love getting it all out and playing with it - lots of green and blue eye shadow and orange lipstick. It has resided in my loft for many years, with a load of machine knitting tools in it, however I recently sold my knitting machines and the tools, but I thought it would make a good beading tool box. I found a chiffon scarf, bought some velvet ribbon, glue and some double sided sticky tape and away I went. 

I had already removed most of the old red paper lining.

It was in a bit of a sorry state.

The first thing I did was to polish it with Brasso and shoe polish.  I then cut out two cardboard shapes for the lid and the base. 


Here is the finished lid. 

I then realised that because I had to use the scarf doubled up it was going to be tough stretching the material as far as I needed it. 

The sticky tape in place - it was terrible stuff to use I kept getting stuck on it myself. 

The finished lined case with the braiding in place. As you can see I didn't make the best job of it but it will do for now. 

Ready for use but I shall keep a look out for suitable material to do this again - properly.

With my tools - ready to bead........




No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate it if you can take time to comment - I love to read other people's thoughts and ideas.
Take care x

Crochet Notes - Vera

I was asked by my friend to use up the yarn that her nan (Vera) had been knitting before she passed, to make something for her mum. Quite a...