Friday, 22 February 2013

Knitting Digest - part 1!

A glimpse into the crafting world and general life of September 1976



Probably because of my love for social history, I am always on the look out for old and interesting crafty magazines. Today's browsing in charity shops managed to turn up a little gem - the September 1976 copy of Knitting Digest, sold back then for 25p and sold to me today for 30p!

It is packed full of social and some political history, as well as some gems of patterns and other crafty ideas. I aim to break this down into categories for a series of blog posts. So let's take a step back in time to when I years 10 years old and the great British drought was coming to an end.



Editor Angela Jeffs welcomes readers to a new look magazine, she promises readers some know how on getting to grips with the metric system and article on women's rights, all blended with health advice, cooking tips and of course some patterns - well it is the Knitting Digest. 

Crafty Tips

Page 3 contains the obligatory abbreviations panel and a note about tension, which is picked up again on page 6, "The Secret of Success," an in depth  article on how to check your tension. What I particularly love is the diagram at the bottom of the page with the little heart shaped stitches.



Page 11, again with a fab diagram shows "How to turn the perfect cable."



Page 13 a note on "Keeping whites white" with some sheep keeping themselves clean and some useful tips.



Page 55, the promised article on "Metric Madness." We're a funny bunch us Brits - we went metric in 1971 when I was 5, but ask me how tall I am and I'll tell you 5ft 3. Ask my sons and they'll answer in imperial too, it's the same with weight, but I'm not posting that on here!



Page 59, a panel on "Inserting zip fasteners" which I shall be reading because I have never mastered this.


Page 62 in answer to a letter on how to knit left-handed - put a mirror in front of the diagrams showing you how to knit! Simple!



This isn't my first step back in time to the 1970s you may also like The Psychedelic Seventies.

Next time I shall focus on health and food!

1 comment:

  1. Loving that metric madness comment! oh seems like yesterday well i was about 7! ish
    Daisy j

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate it if you can take time to comment - I love to read other people's thoughts and ideas.
Take care x

Crochet Notes - Milky Buttons Bag

Cream Cotton DK Black DK 3.75mm hook Black retail bag. I used the Pinwheel Circle for the front and back - making 18 of them (ad...