Friday, 17 May 2013

Crochet Notes - Granny Tribute Cushion



Yarn: Odds and Ends of DK and 120g white DK for framing of the square

Hook: 3.75mm

Cushion: Re-vamping an old one

Granny Square:


I called this the Granny Tribute Cushion because it is a tribute to the Knitting Digest Magazine that I wrote about recently, one of the patterns was this granny square blanket for the garden. 


The five blog posts about the Knitting Digest from September 1976 can be found here.

First I dug out all of my odds and ends of DK that are green or blue and I bought some white DK for the frame. I decided to follow the principle that each square would have a green round, a light blue round and a dark blue round - all framed with the white. 



Next came the task of making 50 squares - 25 for each side and I decided to use the join as you go method. 

I haven't made a granny since I was a child but it's not something you forget - so here's how my mum taught me:

  • Make 4 chain and slip stitch to form a circle. 
  • Round 1 - 3 chain, 11 trebles, slip stitch into top of three chain.
  • Round 2 - slip stitch into gap - 3 chain, 2 trebles, 2 chain, 3 trebles into same space = corner 1- skip over next three trebles - 3 trebles, 2 chain 3 trebles = corner 2. Repeat for corners 3 and 4. Slip stitch into top of 3 chain. 
  • Round 3 - Slip stitch into 2 chain space, 3 chain 2 trebles 3 trebles - 3 trebles into space - 3 trebles 2 chain 3 trebles. Complete round in the same manner - slip stitch into top of 3 chain. 
  • Round 4 - Slip stitch into 2 chain space, 3 chain 2 trebles 3 trebles - 3 trebles into space - 3 trebles into space - 3 trebles 2 chain 3 trebles. Complete round in the same manner - slip stitch into top of 3 chain. 





In the end I decided to do the middle bits first so that I could spread out the colours - then I used the join as you go method for the white Round 4.

To finish I did an edging round in white:
Corners - 3 treble, 2 chain, 3 treble
Edging - 3 trebles in each space.






I sewed one piece of fabric to the cushion cover - leaving a small lip sticking up.

Then I sewed the second piece of fabric to the lip - the picture below shows the second piece of fabric being attached. on the zip side I just attached the crochet fabric either side of the zip so that I can still open it.


And hey presto - here is my second patio cushion (here is my first - also made of odds and ends), one more to go - so watch this space:) x


1 comment:

  1. It looks great! Thanks for sharing the details of making it.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate it if you can take time to comment - I love to read other people's thoughts and ideas.
Take care x

Crochet Notes - Milky Buttons Bag

Cream Cotton DK Black DK 3.75mm hook Black retail bag. I used the Pinwheel Circle for the front and back - making 18 of them (ad...