Yarn:4 ply - used double ( I used Stylecraft Life and Malabrigo Sock Yarn)
DK - Stylecraft Life DK
55cm cushion pad / cover (Dunelm Mill £9.99)
needle and thread
I did 17 with the doubled up 4 ply in the middle and 8 with the double knit in the middle. (25 in total)
The flower part is made in the same way as rounds 1 to 3 of the African Flower Hexagon (demonstrated on my African Flower Bag post).Except that to form the Violet I only used one colour.
Framing the flower with a square:
- Double crochet in between the 4th and 5th trebles from the previous round.
- 5 chain
- long double crochet into the gap between the clusters of 8 trebles - as shown on the picture.
- Slip stitch into first double crochet to finish the round.
- Slip stitch into 5 chain space - 2 chain - to represent first double crochet, half treble, three trebles - all in the 5 chain space.
- *Next 5 chain space - two trebles, half treble, double crochet.
- Next 5 chain space - double crochet, half treble, two trebles - repeat from * all the way round.
- Slip stitch into first DC to finish the round.
- Slip stitch into gap between first double crochet and first half treble. 3 chain (to represent first treble).
- 3 trebles - you should now be at the gap between clusters - this will become corner 1.
- *2 trebles, 2 chain, 2 trebles
- Treble into each of the next 14 gaps - you should now be at another gap between clusters - this will be corner 2. Repeat from * to finish the round - ending with a slip stitch into the first treble.
When I did the reverse squares with the doubled 4 ply on the outer rounds - the changes I made were:
- Round 1 - 4 chain instead of 5 chain.
- Round 2 - 2 trebles instead of 3 trebles.
- Round 3 - You have to treble into 11 gaps instead of 14.
I sewed the squares together.
Once the 25 squares were joined together I did a round of trebles in the DK - doing corners of 2 trebles, 2 chain, 2 trebles.
Then I did a round of double crochet in the doubled 4 ply.
Sew fabric to a cushion cover.