Sunday, 2 June 2013

Crochet Notes - Purple Star Cushion




Yarns: 

Oatmeal - Stylecraft Life DK - 100g
Plum Centres - Rico Essentials Merino DK - 20g
Purple - Patons Wool Blend DK

Hook:
3.75mm

Cushion: 

£2.49 bargain from Dunelm Mill. (16 inches)

Instructions


Stars: 
I used the Granny Star by Kara Gunza which I found on Ravelry.

Framing the Granny Stars:

Round 1
  • Slip Stitch into a 2 chain loop with the oatmeal. 
  • 4 chain 1 treble into the space.
  • Half treble all the way round into each space - except on the points - do 1 treble 1 chain 1 treble.
  • Slip stitch to join round.
Round 2
  • Slip stitch into space between 4 chain and 1 treble.
  • 3 chain 1 treble 2 chain 2 trebles.
  • Half treble all the way round into each space - except on the points - do 2 trebles 2 chain 2 trebles.
  • Slip stitch to join round.
Round 3
  • Slip stitch into 2 chain space. 
  • 3 chain 1 treble 2 chain 2 trebles.
  • Treble all the way round into each space - except on the points - do 2 trebles 2 chain 2 trebles.
  • Slip stitch to join round and fasten off.
I made 8 full stars and 2 half stars.




Half Stars:

To get the three sides required to fill the gap, work the centre as normal but then only do 4 points. 
For the framing I just worked straight across the flat edge. 

Completion:

On this occasion I sewed the hexagons together.
For the edging I began along a side that didn't have the half stars in it. 
I trebled along the edge (doing trebles on the pointy bits).
I then back tracked and trebled along it again. 
Then I did a third row of trebles (this time only doing 1 treble in the pointy bits).

Next I turned the corner with 2 trebles, 2 chain, 2 trebles and then trebled along the side with the half star in place.

Turn the corner as before, then treble 3 rows along this edge. 

Turn the corner and treble 1 row along the second side with a half star. 

Slip stitch to finish.

Weave in ends and block.

Sew crocheted fabric to the cushion cover. 

The reverse side - quite impressed with my £2.49 cushion.

Looking good with my Plum Blossom Cushion.


4 comments:

  1. I'm tempted to search my stash and have a go right now! Thank you for such clear instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks - I'm going to make one for a friend too:) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how this came out! What a great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kara - the possibilities are endless:)

      Delete

I really appreciate it if you can take time to comment - I love to read other people's thoughts and ideas.
Take care x

Knitting Knotes - Vienna Christmas Market Hat

I'm off to Vienna Christmas Market next week with a group of lovely ladies. My cousin, who is one of the ladies, jokingly asked me to m...