Friday, 7 June 2013

Crochet Notes - Strawberry Popcorn Cushion

Strawberry Popcorn Cushion



I wanted to make my Auntie a cushion because when I go round to visit she always comments about how nice my projects are. I had some oatmeal left over from my Purple Star Cushion and I found some chunky left over from a student scarf I made for my son. 

Yarns: 

Oatmeal - Stylecraft Life DK - 50g
Berry - Stylecraft Life Chunky - 90g
Berry DK - 10g
Hook: 3.75mm
Cushion: £4.99 from Poundstretcher. (16 inches)


Instructions


Popcorn stitch - do a cluster of 3 or 4 trebles as required - take the hook out of the loop and hook a loop from the first treble, then put the loop from the end back on the hook - yarn over and pull through. 

Using the chunky berry make 12 popcorn circles. 

  • Chain 5 - slip stitch to form a ring.
  • 3 chain, 11 trebles - slip stitch to top of 3 chain.
  • In this round I did popcorn clusters of 3 trebles in each gap and 2 chain in between. 
  • Fasten off
For the frame - use oatmeal DK.

Round 1 - slip stitch into a gap and chain 3, 2 trebles, 2 chain, 3 trebles. Then do 1 chain and a 3 treble cluster into the next gap, 1 chain and 3 treble cluster into the next gap, 1 chain 3 trebles 2 chain 3 trebles. Repeat in this manner to complete the round. 

Round 2 - Corners as round 1 and 3 treble clusters into each gap. Slip stitch to join round and fasten off. 

I used the join as you go method form Attic 24 to join the squares. 

Using the chunky berry make 1 large popcorn circle.

  • Chain 5 - slip stitch to form a ring.
  • 3 chain, 11 trebles - slip stitch to top of 3 chain.
  • In this round I did popcorn clusters of 3 trebles in each gap and 2 chain in between. 
  • In this round I did popcorn clusters of 4 trebles in each gap and 3 chain in between. 
  • Fasten off


For the frame:


Using oatmeal DK

Round 1 - slip stitch into a gap and chain 3, 2 trebles, 2 chain, 3 trebles. Then do 1 chain and a 4 treble cluster into the next gap, 1 chain and 4 treble cluster into the next gap, 1 chain 3 trebles 2 chain 3 trebles. Repeat in this manner to complete the round.

Rounds 2 to 4 - Corners as round 1 and 4 treble clusters into each gap.

Rounds 5 to 6 - Change to Berry DK - Corners as round 1 and 3 treble clusters into each gap - fasten off.

Sew the inner square into place.

For the edging:

Corners as round 1 and 3 treble clusters into each gap. Slip stitch to join round and change to DK berry.
Corners - 3 half-trebles 2 chain 3 half trebles.
Half-treble into each gap.

Weave in ends - pin to cushion cover and sew in place:)




No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate it if you can take time to comment - I love to read other people's thoughts and ideas.
Take care x

Knitting Knotes - Vienna Christmas Market Hat

I'm off to Vienna Christmas Market next week with a group of lovely ladies. My cousin, who is one of the ladies, jokingly asked me to m...