Saturday, 10 August 2013

Knitting Knotes - Retro Zig Zags

Completed Retro Zig Zags



Equipment

Yarn: Stylecraft Cotton Classique (4 x 100g balls) Tropical Paradise
Needles: 3.25mm 3.25mm ciruclar needle and 5mm
Yarn sewing needle
3.75mm crochet hook

Tension
22 sts and 30 rows to 10cm


Finished measurements

Length: 24 inches / 60 cm
Length to armhole: 16 inches / 40 cm
Armhole to shoulder: 14 inches / 20 cm
Finished chest size: 48 inches /  122 cm

This top is a mash up of two patterns that I first made in about 1985 for my holiday to a sleepy little town called Malia on the gorgeous island of Crete. Malia is no longer sleepy - in fact no one sleeps there, it is a party town full of drunk Brits - not my cup of tea at all these days.



I bought this yarn to make a short sleeve cardie - but looked at weight not yardage and didn't have enough - really I should know better at my age. So I decided to make a summer top and began thumbing through my old patterns. I wore the white lacy top a huge amount during the summer of 1985 but I didn't wear the vest top much because the pattern had gone a bit wrong, although it doesn't show too much because of the textured yarn. When I began knitting it this time I realised that row 8 and row 10 are in the wrong order - aged 19 I might not have realised that.

Also this time I decided to do stocking stitch but the actual pattern is in garter stitch. 
You can use any lacey pattern of your choice:)


Back

  • Using 3.25mm cast on 113 sts and knit 12 rows in 1x1 rib.
  • Next row - decrease 4 stitches evenly across the row. 
  • Change to 5mm (I love the drape of this yarn on 5mm needles).
  • Begin 20 row lace pattern and continue until * 6 pattern repeats have been completed. (120 rows)
  • Divide for neck and complete one side at a time - 30, 49, 30
  • Keep pattern correct - dec 1 st at neck edge on every row until 25 sts.
  • Knit to row 10 of the pattern (130 rows in all).
  • Cast off

Front

As for back until *
  • Begin 20 row lace pattern and continue until * 5 pattern repeats have been completed. (100 row)
  • Divide for neck and complete one side at a time - 40, 29, 40
  • Keep pattern correct - decrease at neck edge on alternate rows until 25 sts.
  • Knit to row 130 ( or row 10 of the 6th pattern repeat). 
  • Cast off.



Sew up shoulder seams and side seams leaving gap required.

Neck

  • Pick up and K1 P1:
  •  - along the back - 10, 49, 10
  • - along the front - 40, 29, 40
  • Knit 12 rows in rib pattern.
  • On rows 4,5,6,7,8 - decrease 2 sts - one either side of each shoulder line (4 sts in total per round). This gives the neckline a nice round shape. 
  • Cast off in rib.
  • To add further shape to neckline and make it sturdy - thread a piece of the yarn through the rib pattern on the wrong side all the way round - but don't pull this too tight. 

Armhole

Using 3.75mm hook - do 3 rounds of double crochet (US = single crochet).

Weave in all ends and block. 

A bit boxy when lying flat - as it is holey I wear it with a white vest top - overall I'm very pleased with my mash up of 1980s' patterns. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate it if you can take time to comment - I love to read other people's thoughts and ideas.
Take care x

Knitting Knotes - Vienna Christmas Market Hat

I'm off to Vienna Christmas Market next week with a group of lovely ladies. My cousin, who is one of the ladies, jokingly asked me to m...