Monday, 17 February 2014

Knitting Knotes - Gold Rush Scarf

Scarf in Sirdar Firefly


Last year (2013) I was wandering through a local department store's haberdashery corner (which has since disappeared to make way for more chairs in the restaurant - sad times), when I saw some Sirdar Firefly going cheap. It had been reduced from £5.60 to £2.80. Here it was at the beginning...


I had previously made a Firefly scarf back in November 2010 ....


The November 2010 version was 30sts on 7mm needles and I used 4 balls, I also added 7 tassels. I used garter stitch and simply used all the yarn up (I made the tassels at the beginning).



Back to 2013/14 - I decided to make it a bit different.

The photos don't do this proud to be honest!

  • Cast on 2 sts
  • K 1 row
  • Increase 1st each end of next row
  • Carry on until there are 32 sts in total. 
  • Knit in garter stitch until you have just enough left for the end tip
  • Decrease 1 st each end of every row until 2 sts remain
  • Cast off


Firefly isn't the easiest of yarns to knit with - you have to keep an eye on where the point of the needle is going otherwise the stitch gets caught up or missed. That said the scarf looks fantastic when finished - even better with a black blouse, can't wait to wear it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate it if you can take time to comment - I love to read other people's thoughts and ideas.
Take care x

Knitting Knotes - Celtic Beanie

Using the pattern  Oxenhope  I made this bigger by adding another pattern repeat, I also wanted a fold over 2x2 cuff - but I didn't ...