|Thistle from the Country Diary Book of Knitting|
Yarn: King Cole Bamboo Cotton Solids 700g
Needles: 3.25mm and 4mm
Tension: 22sts = 10cm
Pattern: Thistle by Rosy Tucker, published in The Country Diary Book of Knitting (October 1987) by Annette Mitchell
Finished measurements: Chest - 112 cm / To Armhole - 38 cm / Overall Length - 58 cm
- Cast on with 3.25mm - 118 sts and rib K2, P2 for 27 rows.
- Increase to 139 sts.
- Change to 4mm needles and commence pattern.
- Knit for 14 inches/36 cm (In terms of the Thistle pattern this was the ribbing, 2 pattern repeats and 10 rows of the next pattern repeat.)
- Armhole shaping - cast off 10 sts at the beginning of the next two rows = 119 sts *
- Cast off 1st each end on alt rows x 5 = 109 sts.
- Knit until 4 pattern repeats and 16 rows of the 5th have been completed.
- Cast off 31 sts at the beginning of the next two rows.
- Cast off putting middle 47 on a holder.
- Same until *
- Divide for neck - at this point there are 119 sts. Divide = 59/1/59
- Next row - dec 1st at beginning for armhole - knit a further 57 sts - put middle stitch on a pin and turn.
- Keep armhole shaping as before but this time simultaneously dec 1st on next and every 3rd row at neck edge x 8 = 46 sts
- Complete as for back and then match other side.
- Using a 3.25mm circular needle - pick up and knit in K2 P2 rib - 132sts (66 each side)
- Rib K2, P2 for 10 rounds and then cast off.
- Using a 3.25mm circular needle - pick up and knit in K2 P2 rib as follows.
- 70 down left front and 70 up right front (in the front middle - K4 - the centre stitch on a pin being the second of the 4) then 47 across back but dec 1 for 46 = 186 sts
- Row 2 to 7 - the front middle 4 sts - K2 tog, SKPSSO.
- Rib for 7 rounds and then cast off.
I bought this book back in 1987 when it came out but this is the first time I have made anything from it. However there are some lovely patterns, especially for children - here is a flavour:
|The gorgeous Poppy - I always fancied this in black with green stems.|
|A lacy jumper - very in vogue at the moment.|
|I love this sleeveless top - but I'd make it shorter.|
|Just two of the fab girl's jumpers - there are toys too and rucksacks.|
Overall I am very pleased with this project, it looks great today with jeans and will look fab in the summer with white linen trousers.