Sunday, 9 November 2014

Poppies and Remembrance



The poppy symbol to remember those that have fallen in war is always special every year but this year the centenary of World War One starting has made it even more poignant.

In the UK we remember those fallen in war with a national 2 mins silence at 11am on the 11th November - the moment the guns fell silent in 1918. The Poppy Appeal began in 1921 as a charity to support those injured and it has continued ever since. The poppies were chosen because they grew naturally in the Flanders Fields, one of the battlegrounds where many soldiers had fallen, and their red colour, symbolising the blood, lost makes the poppy a perfect choice for this charity.

To mark the 100 year anniversary there has been a poppy art installation at the Tower of London, you can see the aerial photo above. I went into London last night to see it, it was incredibly moving. At 5pm in the pouring rain a long list of World War One fallen was read out followed by the Last Post - a very moving moment.

As you can see from the photo above the poppies look like a lake of blood around the Tower, it can't help but make you think about war in general.

Having researched a bit of family history I know of three relatives that died during the First World War: my great uncle Billy Pullum (my nan's brother - I have had the honour of visiting his grave near Ypres); my great great uncle Charles Tudman (Billy's uncle) who also died in Belgium and from another side of the family my great grandfather Ottomar Waibel died on the Somme in France - Ottomar was a German living in London with his English wife and three small children, he was sent back to Germany when war broke out and was never to return.

Poppy for Remembrance Day - Simply Crochet

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate it if you can take time to comment - I love to read other people's thoughts and ideas.
Take care x

Knitting Knotes - Celtic Beanie

Using the pattern  Oxenhope  I made this bigger by adding another pattern repeat, I also wanted a fold over 2x2 cuff - but I didn't ...