Saturday, 18 April 2015

Knitting Knotes - Sparkly Aegean Vest



I really dragged my heels with this one and for good reason, I find sequined yarn takes an age to knit because I end up becoming obsessed in pushing the sequins to the front. I ended up putting this away and only returning to it when I saw the gorgeous scarf in my local garden centre, so the scarf really became the motivation to finish.

In the picture above you can see a book I picked up at the same garden centre The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. It was the name that grabbed my attention, however the story is all told through letters and initially I was a bit disappointed. That said the story that unfolds is a good tale, and I did learn a little about the Channel Island occupation during WWII, I do like a bit of social history. A nice easy read  ***

Back to the Knitting Knotes..............

Equipment and Yarn

Bergere de France - Estivale 6 balls
3.25mm needles and 3.25mm circular needles
3.5mm needles


Measurements
Length - 60 cm
Length to arm - 40 cm
Chest - 108 cm


BACK

  • Cast on 134 sts using 3.25 mm
  • 1x1 rib for 7.5cm (23 rows)
  • Change to 3.5mm
  • Knit in stocking stitch until work measures 40cm.
  • Cast off 9 sts at the beginning of the next two rows = 126 sts.
  • Dec 1 st each end on alt rows for 20 rows = 96 sts.
  • Knit until work measures 60 cm. 
  • Put middle 46 onto a holder - cast off the 25 each side.

Scarf bought and the project was reawakened at this point.



FRONT
  • As for back to ***
Divide for neck
Cast off 9 sts at armhole - knit 57 sts turn.
Complete armhole shaping as per back - but simultaneously decrease on neck edge as follows. 
Decrease at neck edge on alt rows until 37 sts remain.
Decrease at neck edge every 4th row until 25 sts remain
Continue without shaping until it measures the same as the back.
Cast off.
Put middle stitch on a pin and complete other side to match.

 

NECKLINE

Using 3.25mm circular - start at top left - pick up and K1P1 rib:
70 sts down left side
Knit 1 from pin.
Rib 70 up right side.
Rib 46 from holder across the back.
187 sts
Rib 7 rows
Middle front stitch must always be knit - K2 tog either side on ever row.
Cast off loosely.
 
ARMHOLES

Using 3.25mm circular
K1P1 rib - pick up 140 sts
Rib 7 rows
Cast off loosely.



1 comment:

  1. The scarf looks perfect with the vest, an excellent match. I've never knitted with sequined yarn, it looks quite fiddly. I think I would also be distracted by pushing the sequins through to the front.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate it if you can take time to comment - I love to read other people's thoughts and ideas.
Take care x

Crochet Notes - Milky Buttons Bag

Cream Cotton DK Black DK 3.75mm hook Black retail bag. I used the Pinwheel Circle for the front and back - making 18 of them (ad...