Friday, 6 January 2017

Knitting Knotes - Riga Hat


Made with Latvian yarn bought in Riga


I wanted to make a generous cream hat and couldn't find a pattern I liked - so I improvised this as I went - if you make one please send me a picture - I'd love to see how it turns out.

Equipment: Needles -  double pointed 5mm and circular or double pointed 6mm / cable needle / marker
Yarn: Sia Lambazu Tine from Latvia (I used 1 skein plus about 5g from skein number 2.) I think this yarn is chunky - 6mm needles worked well.
Bobble or a pom pom (I bought my Bobble in Superdrug for £3 - it was originally a broach).



Abbreviations:

C4B - Put 2sts on cable needle and hold at back, knit 2 then knit 2 from the cable needle.
C3F - Put 2 sts on cable needle and hold at front, Purl 1 then knit 2 from the cable needle.
C3B - Put 1 st on a cable needle and hold at back. Knit 2 then purl 1 from the cable needle.


Pattern:

Using 5mm needles cast on 72 stitches and 1 x 1 rib for 29 rows
Row 30 - still using 1 x 1 increase by 24 stitches to 96 stitches - evenly all round.

Change to 6mm needles - place marker at start.

Row 1,2 and 3 - P1, K4, P2, K4, P1 - repeat to end

Row 4 - Twist 1 - P1, C4B, P2, C4B, P1 - repeat to end

Row 5, 6 and 7 - P1, K4, P2, K4, P1 - repeat to end

Row 8 - Twist 2 - P1, K2, C3F, C3B, K2, P1 - repeat to end

Row 9 and 10  - P1, K2, P1, K4, P1, K2, P1 - repeat to end

Row 11 - Twist 3 - P1, K2, P1, C4B, P1, K2, P1 - repeat to end

Row 12 and 13 - P1, K2, P1, K4, P1, K2, P1 - repeat to end

Row 14 - Twist 4 - P1, K2, C3B, C3F, K2, P1 - repeat to end

Row 15 and 16 - P1, K4, P2, K4, P1 - repeat to end

Row 17 - Twist 5 - same as Row 4.

Repeat from Row 5 again = Row 30

Decrease for crown

Row A - P1,* K4, P2 together, repeat from * to last purl st and purl 2 together with first st of next round.

Row B - K4, P1 - repeat to end

Row C - K1, K2 tog, K1, P1 - repeat to end

Row D - K3, P1 - repeat to end

Row E - K2 tog, K1, P1 - repeat to end

Row F - K2 tog, P1 - repeat to end

Change to double pointed 5mm needles

Row G - K2 tog - repeat until you have only 1 stitch left - fasten off.

Weave in ends and attach bobble - or make pompom.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate it if you can take time to comment - I love to read other people's thoughts and ideas.
Take care x

Crochet Notes - Vera

I was asked by my friend to use up the yarn that her nan (Vera) had been knitting before she passed, to make something for her mum. Quite a...